The State Convention - Apperance matters
Posted byAs an individual who organizes a three day gaming convention (mgcon) I truly know how difficult it is to make everyone happy who attends a convention, let alone a political convention. I know no matter how perfect the day could have been or how smoothly the convention could have run there will always be complaints.
My complaints should be taken in that light. They are rather minor. Without question I will probably be volunteering to help next year and beyond as more volunteers make things appear to run smoother; again my history of organizing conventions is coming out, it is the appearance that matters.
The reason the IP choose Midway Stadium is fairly obvious; an unconventional convention has the potential for great media coverage. Media Coverage is almost like free advertising and I must admit I was a little surprised when the Media took the bait hook line and sinker. I don’t doubt that if we would have meet in a hotel ballroom in Minneapolis even with the same number in attendance that the IP would not have received the same attention. It was a great coup.
I have little doubt that even though there was a record 277 Delegates and 230 alternates and guests that the IP leadership had hopes for higher attendance. While the Republicans barely reached a quorum for their convention and the attendance at the Democratic Convention was stagnate at best the IP Convention attendance continues to climb. Could you imagine the look on Brian Melendez or Ron Carey had 1000 people shown up?
For the most part the post convention images showed the crowd at it peak; during Peter Hutchinson’s Nomination Speech that in itself probably sent shivers up and down the leadership of the GOP and DFL as it gave the appearance of large crowds.
Do I think Peter did a bad job Chairing the Convention, HELL no. I think he did a very good job considering he was dealt a bad set of cards; I doubt most people could have done better. With the potential for rain, the potential for multiple ballots for the U.S. Senate Race and from what one individual told me a larger than expected showing for Pam Ellison made for a tight schedule as a new potential for multiple ballots for Governor emerged
My critique on what Peter did wrong is again rather minor:
When you appear unorganized for even a split second people automatically assume you aren’t organized no matter how close or far from the truth it is.
These are example of really minor things that if you did you would even give it a second thought, but the moment someone else does you would almost automatically question their organizational or professional skills. In running MGCon I learned the hard-way how important these little things are and how even three and four years later some people still hold those items against me. It is the appearance of organization that individuals want to see.
Overall there is very little to complain about concerning the convention and that is what made it a successful convention. To the best of my knowledge there were no fights over credentials, no gentleman taking it outside, nor many catcalls from the audience and that gives the impression of strong starting point, as it is apperance matters.
Aside - I have only been publishing on blogspot.com for a couple days and I have already recieved more messages about my typos than I got in a week on the previous host. I think it was a good choice.

0 comments:
Post a Comment